SKINCARE FOR THE SOUL
We’ve put together some of our favorite ways to connect with ourselves. Each person is different, this blog is really aimed at mindfulness. Take what you need, and get creative with it!
“Sometimes wellness means creating a life you don’t have to escape from with “self care” ...and sometimes it’s still a hot bath scrolling through instagram.”
A good night of sleep
Think of sleep as the cherry on top of what you think is a well-balanced lifestyle. Without it, there will always feel like something is missing. For adults, getting 7+ hours of beauty rest is essential for optimal health. Getting your Z’s can: lower inflammation, reduce depression, build a stronger immune system, improve concentration, and lower risk of heart disease. Shall we continue?
Here’s one of our “hacks” for a night of quality sleep.
- Cut the caffeine! Our favorite elixir to drink before bed.
- Rooibos tea
- Manuka Honey
- CBD (We like Two Cranes, they’re a local brand for us!) No affiliation.
- Couple drops of Valerian root extract
Lowering your stress
There are truly endless reasons to the benefits that lowering stress has on your health, we’ll talk about 2 main ones today.
- Stress directly affects your cortisol levels. Cortisol is linked to immunity, and how your body reacts to toxins. In the time we are in, it has never been so important to manage stress levels! Turn off the news, make your favorite drink and get in the bathtub!
- Stress is one of the largest contributors to acne flare-ups, rosacea, and other skin conditions. Controlling stress, or knowing how to deal with it will be one of the most beneficial things in the long run for your overall health, and happy skin!
See our elixir above! We love Rooibos tea because it is a powerhouse when it comes to stress! It supports the adrenal function by balancing cortisol, one of the stress hormones.
The transformative potential of meditation shouldn’t be underestimated. Meditation falls under the “lowering your stress” category for us, but thought it should have it’s own spotlight too. Meditation is an umbrella term for the many ways to a relaxed state of being. The best thing about meditation is that there is no “right” way of doing it! From guided meditations to yoga, the options are endless.
Meditating is one of the best things you can do to help reduce stress. Scientific evidence supports this claim: extensive studies were conducted on a group of Buddhist monks as they were meditating. The prefrontal cortex of the monks’ brains (the part associated with happiness) was found to be extra active.
Pimp out your bath
Hot baths are relaxing and stimulating, cool baths can reduce inflammation. I can definitely attest to this! Two weeks ago I had a very alarming trip to the ER, later finding out it was Sciatica. “Is this what 23 feels like?” I humorously thought to myself. Switching between hot and cold baths throughout the week - I noticed that it had a significant impact on muscle and joint tension. Here's what I used:
- CBD Bath Bomb (side note: the founder of Alki Body will be doing a story takeover on our IG today so stay tuned for that!) We’ve also linked a blog from the founder HERE to learn more info about how CBD positively affects your body. A highly recommended and quick read.
- Add a couple drops of our favorite body oil to a hot bath!
- Digital Detox
Oh, and turn on our Selfcare Playlist for the ultimate date night in.